Scala 2.13.9 release planning

This thread is for updates and discussions about the upcoming Scala 2.13.9 release.

We’re doing this release simply because it feels like enough time has passed and enough PRs have been merged. There is no specific forcing factor. (2.13.8 came out in January.)

We aim to release 2.13.9 and 2.12.16 at about the same time; there is a separate thread on 2.12.16 planning.

We propose to publish a 2.13.9 release candidate no sooner than Monday, May 9, followed by a final 2.13.9 release no sooner than two weeks later.

If you’re aware of anything you think ought to be considered a blocker for this release, please let us know, either by commenting on the appropriate ticket or PR, or by replying on this thread.

At present there are some open issues and PRs on the 2.13.9 milestones in scala/bug and scala/scala. Tthese are changes that we still hope to get in, but at present none are actually blockers.

The most significant changes already merged are listed here:

2 Likes

We’ve decided to delay 2.13.9 until after Scala 3.2.0 final is released, so we can be certain that the 2.13.9 TASTy reader will be able to read Scala 3.2-generated TASTy files. (Ticket: support Scala 3.2.0 in TASTy Reader · Issue #12585 · scala/bug · GitHub)

(But we’ll go ahead with 2.12.16 anyway.)

3 Likes

Do we have any ETA on this now that 2.12.16 is released?

The plan remains to wait until Scala 3.2 is available, then release 2.13.9 shortly afterwards, so it can include TASTy reader support for 3.2.

According to the 3.2 release thread, the 3.2 target date is currently July 26. 3.2.0 release thread

3 Likes

Hi all, unfortunately 2.13.8 tasty reader is not compatible with 3.1.3
So perhaps we need 2.13.9 released for this, and then a subsequent release for 3.2.0 if necessary?
See https://github.com/lampepfl/dotty/issues/15878

We still intend to build 2.13.9 very soon after 3.2.0 comes out, and 3.2.0 is still supposed to be along soon (they just built 3.2.0-RC4). So I don’t see a need to do two releases. (Every release creates work for the whole ecosystem, so we don’t like to do them in rapid succession except under unusual circumstances.)

Note that nightly builds of 2.13.9 are available (here’s how to use one).

5 Likes

Thanks Seth that makes perfect sense, and especially thanks for the nightly build information as I struggled to find that myself.

Scala 3.2.0 is on Maven Central and is expected to be announced soon.

In Scala 2 land, we believe we have now merged the last 2.13.9 PR. The milestones are closed. The release-candidate nightly is 2.13.9-bin-d578a02.

We’ll run the candidate through the community build shortly, but I’m 99% sure it will be green, since we’ve changed nothing significant since the last runs.

We’ll aim to release this as 2.13.9 on Thursday, September 15 (perhaps later, definitely no sooner).

Draft release notes: https://github.com/SethTisue/scala-dev/blob/release-notes-2.13.9/releases/2.13.9.md

Feedback and suggestions on wordings welcome — you may comment on the PR .

1 Like

I checked that Scala.js v1.10.1 works with 2.13.9-bin-d578a02. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Scala Native 0.4.7 also works correctly with 2.13.9-bin-d578a02

2 Likes

Semanticdb plugin, bloop and Metals - all work fine with 2.13.9-bin-d578a02

2 Likes

In response to feedback on the release candidate, we ended up merging one additional PR:

The change is limited to scala.collection.convert.JavaCollectionWrappers only. Since it’s a modest adjustment, we don’t think it’s necessary to restart the two-week release timer, but we’ll delay a few extra days and build on Monday (Sep 19).

The new release candidate is 2.13.9-bin-986dcc1.

1 Like

For your information, Monday is a bank holiday in Vaud (EPFL). That shouldn’t hold you up, but it’s probably good to know. As far as I’m concerned, I’ll be more available for a release on Monday than on Tuesday. On Tuesday I’ll be available after 2pm UTC.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

After building & publishing on Monday, we’d normally announce 48 hours later on Wednesday, but if the tooling isn’t in place by then, we could always wait another day or two.

1 Like

better-tostring is up:

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/polyvariant/better-tostring_2.13.9/0.3.17/

1 Like

2.13.9 JARs are now on Maven Central.

Tooling maintainers: go! This is the moment you’ve been waiting for!

(Kewpie doll to Jakub for being first…)

We’ll announce on Wednesday unless someone asks for more time.

2 Likes

Scala.js 1.7.1 through 1.11.0 support for Scala 2.13.9 is on its way to Maven Central.

3 Likes

Scala Native versions 0.4.3 - 0.4.7 (latest) were published to Maven Central

2 Likes

Scalameta support was published for the last 3 versions, we are working on the Metals release.

3 Likes

Scalameta support was published for the last 3 versions, we are working on the Metals release.

Metals 0.11.8 got 2.13.9 support too

2 Likes