Syntax highlighting on Medium

The online publishing platform Medium recently introduced syntax highlighting, a most requested feature. They support the following languages:

• Bash
  • C
  • C++
  • C#
  • CSS
  • Diff
  • Go
  • GraphQL
  • TOML,INI
  • Java
  • JavaScript
  • JSON
  • Kotlin
  • Less
  • Lua
  • Makefile
  • HTML, XML
  • Markdown
  • Objective-C
  • Perl
  • PHP
  • PHP template
  • Plain Text
  • python-repl
  • R
  • Ruby
  • Rust
  • SCSS
  • Shell
  • SQL
  • Swift
  • TypeScript
  • VB.NET
  • WebAssembly
  • YAML

In other words, pretty much everything except Scala. That’s almost embarrassing. Is that something the Scala community should look into? Why is Scala not on the list? Medium is used quite a bit by technical writers, including folks (like myself) who use Scala code.

5 Likes

Dart and Haskell and F# are all missing, too.

Their blog post about the change is Code Blocks with Syntax Highlighting | by Alex Benzer | Nov, 2022 | 3 min read , but I don’t see it saying anything about the underlying tech.

At Great move, It will help move away from GitHub snippets for very small piece of code. Missing support for more languages though. I would need Scala to be supported. - Gaël Jourdan-Weil - Medium one person commented asking for Scala; we might all click the “clap” button on that. The original poster responded and said “We’ll look into adding more languages,” but didn’t mention anything about the possibility of community contributions in this area.

3 Likes

Quite honestly I find medium not a fit for technical blogs. Its paywall together with poor editing compared to the alternatives available is pretty awful.

I really urge all to post your blogs elsewhere and if you really like to have it on medium too cross post to it as it supports canonical url’s so you won’t get penalized for cross posting. Best of both worlds.

As an example of something better, take a look at hashnode , free to join, free to use your own domain plus github integration. And no paywall or ads! You own your data too!

I have ranted about this topic before if you want a read here didn’t include hashnode in this writeup as at the time didn’t know about it.

3 Likes