Scala still in need of a mascot

That was also her advice for this thread:
For people, regardless of artistic expertise, to sketch their ideas !
She believes the ideas coming that way will have much more personality

5 Likes

This is fantastic. Like @odersky said the hand-drawn versions are ingenious compared to the machine generated ones.

1 Like

Agreed!

In addition to ‘Springy’, another idea would be to have ‘Dotty’, which could be a fun version of a “dot” mascot which of course ties with the DOT calculus but also the dot notation common to OO paradigm.

Springy and Dotty can be two of Scala’s multi-paradigm mascots.

1 Like

1 Like

Probably I’m not the only one who is sad that Dotty Bot got a job in industry.

6 Likes

How about a young (but not necessarily junior) anime-style developer in Scala colors?

4 Likes

Haskell does not seem to have a mascot. It is unfortunate as we would just have to breed it with Duke.

3 Likes

Mickey Mouse is just liberated from its Disney Copyright Protection Act after 96 years. So I had a go at AI Image Generator (free, no sign-up, unlimited) with this prompt: “prompt=2D cartoon Disney character digital art of scala programming language mascot with red spiral stairs based on mickey mouse”

and got this

1 Like

I wonder when clippy’s copyright is liberated… We’ll have to wait a while for sure.

We might want to differentiate between the mascot and the logo. As said, Haskell has a logo but no mascot ; Java has Duke but still has a cup of coffee as a logo ; there might be several other instances.

2 Likes

Note that this version of Mickey Mouse is not in the public domain, only the steamboat willie one is

4 Likes

I guess the AI did not know about that…

When Caprese is ready as in {cap} I think the mascot must have a hat.

2 Likes

It’s ^{cap} now, so I guess we have no choice but:
[Insert tip fedora meme here]

2 Likes

Scala Center could give this job to a real non-AI artist:
Make a cute super-hero mouse mascot with a hat with a monospaced ^{cap} on it using the firacode font. Should use the scala color theme with the scala logo on its breast. Should follow good logo art principles and available in both color and BW etc etc.

Symbolic interpretation: our super-hero mascot has all the capabilities of the universe

2 Likes

3 Likes

Similar to @hepin1989 's proposal but from the helvetic tradition Tatzelwurm - Wikipedia

3 Likes