Scala still in need of a mascot

The staircase is not a mascot, but a metaphor for something.

Obviously, adoption of Scala has been hampered by the lack of a mascot.

Also obviously, there is a special mode of poetry for addressing what is inanimate as though it were animate.

Everyone ought to know Robert Lowell’s skunk and Elizabeth Bishop’s armadillo. Bishop is the greater poet.

Community members have dogs and cats and birds who might make great mascots. My spouse hates pets, so we have no pets. I used to have four dogs and two cats before my life went south. Such is life.

15 Likes

Thank you. Would you also attach the images, so everyone will be able to see it.

Some links require to register in social networking sites. Social networking sites require personal information.
So it is public not for free.

1 Like

A lot of deep thinking on this subject from a mere 12 years ago: The Scala mascot: a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog! | The Scala Programming Language

2 Likes

I think you can create a temporary-ish account on discord, without providing any personal information.

Does Odersky have a dog?

I am afraid not.

5 Likes

SS - Speaking of which, I noticed there is no dog at your feet. Don’t you think a dog in an office is cute?

MO - Herzog was right to assign it a different word.

noted here; via Werner Herzog has never thought a dog was cute.

He said:

Is anything cute to you? Have you ever seen a dog and thought, That’s a cute dog? No. I would assign a dog a different word.

I think you can create a temporary-ish account

IMHO: It is not good practice to write posts which require to to create temp accounts for unknown amount of people.

Given the OP was mostly made in jest, you are likely taking it too seriously.

IOW, applying a hard rule to a fairly soft/playful post feels awkward.

If you have a beef with creating temp accounts because you don’t want to “traced”, it’s you who are requiring the temp account, not the OP.

And just in case you go there, I don’t want or support a rule that attempts to figure out a threshold for blocking soft/playful posts. Learn to vote with your mouse by just skipping over them if they require a level of effort that isn’t worth your time and attention.

Given the OP was mostly made in jest, you are likely taking it too seriously.

To say the truth I even do not understand what do you mean.
I had received the notification there was a question. I just answered.

I do not think it is good to waste much time thinking about what it is.
If someone have not understand me, I try to explain.
If it is a joke, so ok there will be no problem either.

When I am working with code it is too difficult to switch sometimes :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry for the distraction. At least it’s correctly filed under meta discourse, although it wound up more meta than intended.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I know how to make temp accounts, I do not care for tracing. I just do not like spam and useless work.
:slight_smile:

well, but it could be. There is a sponge that is a mascot, there is a bread (“Bernd das Brot”), Towelie, etc. Why can’t a staircase be a creature?

P.S. All your discord links are walled off, so not visible unless you sign up with them, which is why I think discord is a bad choice for any forum in the first place. /rantoff

1 Like

Perhaps a genie might work? (LAMP → Aladdin’s lamp → genie)

(more seriously, what is the point of this discussion? Is it simply a joke, or do you think Scala really needs a mascot?)

3 Likes

FYI, there’s a sort of a mascot I’ve seen around.
Take a look at overops’ blog: Best scala Guide`s | OverOps

2 Likes

I don’t know who made this, but I’m fond of Scalator:

cf814e8c8170d6d5

15 Likes

What about the little character that’s just the scala logo with arms, legs, and a face ?
I know them as LAMP-Bot or something like that, but they might have a different name

1 Like

His name is “ce gars-là” (“this guy here”) doodled by Manohar Jonnalagedda on his office whiteboard at LAMP years ago:
cegarsla

14 Likes

add rust is using

1 Like

would someone like to contribute a Scala salamander? (Scalamander)

11 Likes