Scala 2.13.13 release planning

I’ll mention the Scaladoc / TASTy reader regression in the release notes — doesn’t seem worth withdrawing the release over.

Most tooling is now in place, but not quite all, so no announcement today — perhaps Monday.

The JLine upgrade in 2.13.13 broke the console command in sbt. Eugene just released sbt 1.9.9 to fix it. I’ll mention in the release notes that 2.13.13 users should upgrade to 1.9.9 (if they want to use the REPL from sbt, anyway).

Metals support is now in place and other key tooling has published, so it looks like we’re all set to announce first thing Monday (US West Coast time). Please raise any doubts soon if you have them.

1 Like

Not sure what’s the actual Problem but upgrading Play to the latest Scala version makes MiMa raise an error:

@SethTisue maybe you can take a look what’s going on here? Thanks!

1 Like

The Play issue has been sorted out. We added some wordings to the release notes to even more strongly encourage users of -Xsource:3 to consider using -Xsource:3-cross instead.

2.13.13 is now fully announced! Thanks to everyone who participated, even in the smallest way.

2 Likes

Some library authors who were already using -Xsource:3 are getting MiMa failures when upgrading to 2.13.13 and switching from -Xsource:3 to -Xsource:3-cross. If you’re in this situation, you may need to wait for 2.13.14. See Case companions no longer extends FunctionN under `-Xsource:3-cross`, breaks binary compatibility · Issue #12961 · scala/bug · GitHub for details.

1 Like

A new section of the Scala 3 Migration Guide documents -Xsource:3 and -Xsource:3-cross: Scala 2 with -Xsource:3 | Scala 3 Migration Guide | Scala Documentation

This is also now linked from the 2.13.13 release notes.

The new boolean-literals lint in 2.13.13 (see release notes) has been at least somewhat controversial; I suspect we will adjust it for 2.13.14. Y’all can give feedback on how you think we should proceed here: Demote -Xlint:named-booleans to -Wnamed-literal and tweak noise level by som-snytt · Pull Request #10704 · scala/scala · GitHub