Scala 2.12.16 release planning

Here’s where things stand:

Seems like there’s a good chance we’ll have a release candidate by today or tomorrow. (And once we designate a candidate, we’ll let at least two weeks pass for testing before final release.)

1 Like

We believe we have now merged the last 2.12.16 PR. The milestones are closed. The release-candidate nightly is 2.12.16-bin-c850a83, and it’s green in the community build.

Merged PRs with “release notes” label: Pull requests · scala/scala · GitHub

We’ll aim to release this as 2.12.16 on Wednesday, May 25 (perhaps later, definitely no sooner).

2 Likes

All good for Scala.js 1.10.0. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like semanticdb works correctly and all tests are passing!

3 Likes

draft release notes:

you can suggest changes here or at 2.12.16 release notes draft by SethTisue · Pull Request #810 · scala/scala-dev · GitHub

1 Like

I wasn’t able to roll the release this week, for personal reasons, but I expect to be able to do it next week.

2 Likes

2.12.16 is now on Maven Central. Please publish compiler plugins, tooling, etc!

As usual, the release will not be widely announced until a few days have passed and important downstream projects have published. I’m hoping to announce first thing Friday (U.S. Pacific time).

4 Likes

Scala.js 1.10.0 support is on Maven Central.

On its way for earlier versions, down to Scala.js 1.5.1.

3 Likes

I finally learned to release for a specific version :smiley:, Scalameta semanticdb is available for 2.12.16 on the latest 4.5.9 release. On to Metals!

3 Likes

I am also trying to run all the tests again on the merge branch for Scala 2.12.16 and I am getting some issues:

It’s related to these files:

Is it some kind of regression or is it expected? My brain seems to have issues figuring it out.

the following have now published: macro paradise, acyclic, genjavadoc, wartremover

(waiting on kind-projector)

@tgodzik that’s a regression indeed… I created a ticket: Overload resolution regression in mixed compilation with Java inner classes · Issue #12605 · scala/bug · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks! I thought it was working previously when checking the release candidate, but maybe I haven’t checked everything :thinking:

Scala Native 0.4.4 and down to version 0.4.0 artifacts were just published to Maven Central

4 Likes

Metals support for Scala 2.12.16 has been released for the latest version.

1 Like

kind-projector published
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/typelevel/kind-projector_2.12.16/0.13.2/

1 Like

About the regression (Overload resolution regression in mixed compilation with Java inner classes · Issue #12605 · scala/bug · GitHub):

We (Lukas and I) propose to list it as a known issue in the 2.12.16 release notes, but not withdraw the release over it. Our reasoning is that the problem occurs at compile-time (far less pernicious than a runtime failure) and will only affect certain users with mixed Scala/Java codebases with a certain kind of Java code.

But is significant enough that we should build 2.12.17 sooner rather than later — 2–3 months, say, rather than the 6–9 month gap we sometimes have in mature release lines.

2 Likes

This plan sounds good to me! I think we can announce the release of 2.12.16 soon.

2 Likes

2.12.16 is announced:

6 Likes

2.12.17 release planning thread: Scala 2.12.17 release planning