Scala 2.12.15 planning

This thread is for updates and discussions about an eventual Scala 2.12.15 release.

2.12.14 was released on May 28. We aren’t aware of any regressions that would warrant rushing a followup.

But, one reason to do 2.12.15 before too much longer would be to ship Avoid IllegalArgumentException in JDK17+ for lambda deser. by retronym · Pull Request #9676 · scala/scala · GitHub , which fixes a 2.12-only problem with deserialization on JDK 17 (whose final release is expected in September).

See also: scala/scala milestone, scala/bug milestone.

6 Likes

Hi!

Do you have any tentative date for the 2.12.15 release?

The lambda deserialization problem is the only issue we face on JDK17 on the few Renaissance benchmarks which are still stuck on Scala 2.12 (the ones depending on Spark).

The release of 2.12.15 will let us do a quick Renaissance release which would enable JDK17 benchmarking. It will be very welcome for all JVM developers since this new LTS is around the corner.

Thanks

We have now set a target date of September 1.

2 Likes

@ffarquet have you tested a 2.12.x nightly build, to verify that it fixes the problem you’re seeing in the Renaissance benchmark?

Sept 1st sounds great! Thanks.

Yes, I’ve tested the 2.12.15 nightlies and everything works like a charm on JDK17.

1 Like

There are no open issues or PRs. Release candidate is 2.12.15-bin-23a6d50.

Releasing tomorrow appears possible, even likely.

draft release notes: draft 2.12.15 release notes by SethTisue · Pull Request #784 · scala/scala-dev · GitHub

now pulling release levers at Release 2.12.15 · Issue #783 · scala/scala-dev · GitHub

Publishing failed — some Sonatype problem I don’t understand yet.

New hoped-for date is September 7.

3 Likes

2.12.15 JARs are now on Maven Central.

Proceeding with the rest of the release steps at https://github.com/scala/scala-dev/issues/783

2 Likes

The compiler plugins of Scala.js 1.7.0 and Scala Native 0.4.0 are on their way to Maven Central.

I’ll do a few past releases of Scala.js 1.x tomorrow.

5 Likes

2.12.15 is now fully released and announced.

(And a macro-paradise release should be along within the next 24 hours or so…)

4 Likes

Paradise :desert_island: 2.1.1 is now also on Maven Central

2 Likes

Scalameta release supporting Scala 2.12.15 is out! https://github.com/scalameta/scalameta/releases/tag/v4.4.28

5 Likes