Online Courses for Scala 3

(The Scala Org aims to release Scala 3 by the end of fall 2020. We are about 15 employees (some of whom work part-time), spread in 4 organisations (+ active community members), focusing on finalising 52 essential projects in 6 months. Project leads publish the road-maps under the category “Scala 3 release projects” to share with you what is to be expected and hopefully get your advice & contributions as well. All the projects’ road-maps come after an extensive feedback gathering, rounds of discussion, and involvement of major stakeholders, we now need the community to help push this effort over the line. Your collaboration is highly appreciated, thank you in advance!)

Currently, all the EPFL online courses run on Scala 2.13 (or Scala 2.12 for the Spark course). Scala 3 will bring new features and improvements that we want to leverage in our courses (e.g., enums, top-level vals and defs, new syntax for implicits, optional braces, etc.).

We are happy to announce that we are currently updating the existing courses to be ready for Scala 3, and creating a new course that uses Scala 3.

This is a considerable effort, which you can follow in this thread (we will update this post as progress goes).

18 Likes

Hey, here is a short update:

• we have updated the content of the existing courses Functional Programming Principles in Scala and Functional Program Design to Scala 3, we will publish them after Scala 3.0.0 is released,
  • we have frozen the content of our new course, Effective Programming in Scala, and we have just started a beta testing session.

I’ve updated the first post to reflect this progress.

The next steps are to record the videos for the new course and to publish it (in February, if everything runs well). Then, we will update our other courses (parallel programming, Spark, etc.).

8 Likes

I’m excited for these updates and new courses! Is there an open beta program?

2 Likes

Hey Julien,

any idea when (in February) the new courses might be published?

Thanks,

Philip

@philipschwarz, @aaylward, we had to delay the production of the new course because we wanted to wait for the final syntax of Scala 3 to be settled. We should be able to start a public beta in a couple of months, though. I will update this thread with a link to the course as soon as enrollment is possible.

8 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for the update!

Philip

@julienrf just seen: “I have recorded the last lectures of my Scala 3 course at EPFL” :partying_face: - https://twitter.com/julienrf/status/1374384839739146242

3 Likes

Hello!

As the release of Scala 3.0.0 is coming, I want to share with you the concrete steps we are taking regarding the online courses.

We plan to update the following courses just after the release of Scala 3.0.0 (in about a month):

It will still be possible to access the Scala 2 version of these courses for a couple of years at least so that companies who are stuck with Scala 2 will still be able to use our material.

The other courses (Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark and the Capstone Project) need to wait for a Spark release compatible with Scala 2.13.

Last but not least, we will also publish our new course Effective Programming in Scala along with the release of Scala 3.0.0.

9 Likes

Great - Thanks for the update! :grinning:

Thank you @julienrf for the update!
Can’t wait to enroll in the new updated courses :wink:

Hello!

As I have announced here, our new course Effective Programming in Scala is now live!

We are also progressively rolling out the Scala 3 versions of the courses of the Scala Specialization.

You can learn more about the status of our courses in this blog post.

6 Likes

These updates should be promoted more aggressively :wink: I had to google to find this post.

Hello @julienrf, do you have any news on when the courses will be updated? (Redirecting…)

Hello Philip,
The Spark course does use Scala 3 (and Spark 3.2). We announced it in another thread: Scala Center’s Education Roadmap - #11 by julienrf

1 Like

Great news, thank you.