The ML family workshop is colocated with the International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP) each year. In 2018, it will be held in Saint Louis (MO), USA. ICFP and the ML workshops are research-oriented events where the community meets to discuss research ideas – they are colocated with the Scala Symposium 2018 which is more focused on the Scala community. We are now inviting people to submit presentation proposals, to be evaluated and selected by the program committee. The deadline to submit a proposal is May 31st.
This call for presentation is in particular relevant to people working on the design of some aspects of Scala. If you have a well-defined design problem that you have been working on, and a clear description of the solution you propose, and you think this might interest other language designers, this is a perfect fit for a presentation at the ML workshop. If you have a problem and a solution in mind but they are not well-defined and clear yet, the act of writing an extended abstract to submit to the workshop could help you get there!
If you have any question regarding a potential submission, feel free to ask (here or by email, gabriel dot scherer at gmail).
The typical submission format is a three-page PDF, often produced using LaTeX (LibreOffice also works). The proposal is reviewed and evaluated, and those that get accepted are invited to present at the workshop. For more details on the work and its submission process, see the workshop website. The selection committee this year is the following – including in particular Heather Miller from the Scala community:
- Zena Ariola, University of Oregon, US
- Jacques Garrigue, Nagoya University, Japan
- Troels Henriksen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Andrew Kennedy, Facebook, UK
- Felix Klock, Mozilla, Germany
- Ramana Kumar, DeepMind, UK
- Guido Martinez, CIFASIS-CONICET, Argentina
- Heather Miller, Northeastern University, US and EPFL, Switzerland
- Gabriel Scherer, INRIA Saclay, France
- Filip Sieczkowski, Wrocław University, Poland
- Antonis Stampoulis, Originate Inc., US