Introduction to the working group discussions and categories

Hello everyone,

Towards A Brighter Tooling Future for Scala introduced the ongoing efforts of the Scala Center to create working groups to discuss the future of Scala in two different areas: language servers and build tools’ integrations. The goal of these working groups is to come up with standards and proposals that enable a better Scala user experience.

@propensive has managed the process to vote and establish the Committee members for the tooling groups, and will announce an official list of the members soon. In the meanwhile, I’d like to update you on our organisational plans.

The discussions of both working groups will be held publicly in this forum under three new tooling categories. These three categories have different purposes:

1. LSP-WG: to discuss language server implementations for Scala.
  2. STP-WG: to discuss build tools’ integrations and Scala tooling protocols.
  3. LSP-STP-WG: to discuss topics that interest both working groups, and are relevant for tooling in general.

The discussions in these categories will be highly technical and focused, so only members of the Scala Contributors groups (LSP-WG and STP-WG) have rights to create and reply to threads.

However, we still want to keep a strong bond between these working groups and the Community, so here’s what I propose if you want to engage in some of the discussions:

1. Like comments to support a particular view. Likes help Committee members be aware of how readers feel about their ideas; motivating them to bring them to life.
  2. Create a thread in Tooling to raise points that haven’t been discussed or you think have been overlooked. This thread can contain questions and specific criticism towards a point of view, but please keep it short and enumerate actionable items the Committee can act on to fully address your feedback.

This is the first time we create working groups to make progress on such an important part of the language, so I hope that this format makes a good tradeoff between effective discussions and openness to Community feedback.

I’m open to other suggestions, so feel free to comment on this thread if you can think of a better modus operandi.

Let the process towards a brighter Scala tooling future begin!

5 Likes

Here is a relevent write up.
http://ensime.github.io/lsp-wg/

2 Likes

Sam shared that document with us yesterday. It is indeed a nice technical writeup, I think that by now almost all the Committee members have had a look through it.

1 Like

Are there plans to create more working groups on other important parts that are currently neglected? More specifically blackbox and whitebox def macros, macro annotations.

There’s also an ongoing discussion of that document here: https://github.com/ensime/ensime.github.io/issues/268

2 Likes

There is no plan for a metaprogramming working group.