Implicit conversion not working with opaque types

The intention of the Sheet1 class is to store values in a typeless container but operate with them type-safely.

class Sheet1 {
	opaque type Ref[X] = Int;

private val cells: ArrayBuffer[Any] = ArrayBuffer.empty;

def addCell[A](a: A): Ref[A] = {
		val ref = cells.size;
		cells.addOne(a);
		ref
	}

def update(map: Map[Ref[?], Any]): Unit = // does not compile: unreducible application of higher-kinded type Ref to wildcard arguments
		map.foreachEntry { (k, v) => cells(k) = v }
}

But the compiler grumbles with “unreducible application of higher-kinded type Ref to wildcard arguments”. I googled that message and nothing I found helped me to solve the problem.
EDIT - BEGIN: Now I know that I can avoid that message replacing the wildcard with a type parameter.

def update[X](map: Map[Ref[X], Any]): Unit

at the cost of making Ref covariant (which it should not be). But suppose you preferred to face it with implicit conversion as follows.
EDIT - END
So, I tried another approach: add a plain opaque type Reference, replace the the wildcard opaque type Ref[X] of the method signature with the plain opaque type Reference, and add an implicit conversion between them.

class Sheet2 {
	opaque type Reference = Int;
	opaque type Ref[X] = Reference;

private val cells: ArrayBuffer[Any] = ArrayBuffer.empty;

def addCell[A](a: A): Ref[A] = {
		val ref = cells.size;
		cells.addOne(a);
		ref
	}

implicit def refToReference[T]: Conversion[Ref[T], Reference] = identity;
    //	implicit def refMapToReferenceMap[K, V]: Conversion[Map[Ref[K], V], Map[Reference, Any]] = identity

def update(map: Map[Reference, Any]): Unit = map.foreachEntry { (k, v) => cells(k) = v }
}

Which avoids the “unreducible application of higher-kinded type Ref to wildcard arguments” problem and compiles fine but, when I try to use it, the implicit conversion does not work:

object User {

val sheet = new Sheet2;
	import sheet.*

val listRef: Ref[List[Int]] = sheet.addCell(List(1,2,3));

import scala.language.implicitConversions;
	import sheet.refToReference; // not necessary but just in case

sheet.update(Map((listRef: Reference) -> List(3,2,1))); // Works using type ascription.

sheet.update(Map(refToReference(listRef) -> List(3,2,1))); // Works using the converter explicitly.

val x = Map(refToReference(listRef) -> List(3,2,1))
	sheet.update(x); // Works using an intermediate variable but only if the conversion `refMapToReferenceMap` is uncommented.

sheet.update(Map(listRef -> List(3,2,1))); // Trying implicit conversion fails with: Found: (sheet.Ref[List[Int]], List[Int]); Required: (sheet.Reference, Any)
}

Tried with scalaVersion “3.1.3” and “3.2.1” with same result.

Existance of Conversion[A, B] does not imply that there is Conversion[Map[A,?], Map[B,?]]. As conversion mechanism does not know that A and B are opaque and conversion is essentially no-op, it would require mapping over all keys and creating a copy of map – an expensive operation to do implicitly.

Moreso, all update operations will in turn return Map[B,?] which will require conversion B => A to produce expected type.

What you say is true if the worst scenario is considered. But in the particular case of my example, the conversion of the map-key’s type is no-op.
Also, why does the…

implicit def refMapToReferenceMap[K, V]: Conversion[Map[Ref[K], V], Map[Reference, Any]] = identity

… conversion not work neither (unless an intermediate variable is used)?
Here the programmer is begging the compiler make a specific conversion and the compiler refuses.

What I have not verified, and I should have, was if the conversion of my example works for regular types. And it doesn’t. So, the title and all my post is surely wrong.
Sorry for that. Should I delete it.