How opaque the opaque types are?

I was super-excited when first heard about opaque types in Scala 3. It was going one of the best features of Scala 3!

From what I’ve got back then is that if we define an opaque type Nat = Int , the Nat is treated in the whole userland as something completely disjoint from Int and only something deep inside the compiler would know that at runtime it’s nothing more than a usual Int. At least it’s how I read the word “opaque” - we hide the Int from the rest of the world.

Above behaviour constitutes a basis for the “newtype” pattern and it sounded like it’s what opaque types are designed for.

However, later I stumbled upon couple of cases that made me think if I was wrong:

The first ticket boils down to this:

type IsInt[A] = A match
  case Int => true
  case _   => false

scala.compiletime.constValue[IsInt[Int]]     // true, as expected          
scala.compiletime.constValue[IsInt[String]]  // false, as expected

object Foo:
  opaque type Foo = Int

scala.compiletime.constValue[IsInt[Foo.Foo]]   // compile-time error, expected false

From what I’ve got explained by @dwijnand and @sjrd, for dotty, Foo now is not an Int nor non-Int and has unknown relation to Int. And I really don’t understand why, from design point of view (maybe there are technical limitations though). We’ve hidden everything about Int, we’ve defined that type for a sole purpose of being different from Int, we just define it in terms of Int because of runtime characteristics. On the other hand, even true here would be more acceptable if we make it clear that compile-time operations dealias opaque types.

I’ve ran into this case in a pretty bad situation where I had lots of case classes with newtype-over-opaque types all over the codebase. And a match type at the core of type class derivation mechanism. AnyVal would work here just fine, but I thought “AnyVal is so Scala 2, I’ll just rewrite some derivation bits with macro”. And it brings us to the second case, which could be boiled down to the following macro:

inline def getType[T] =
    ${ getTypeImpl[T] }
  private def getTypeImpl[T: Type](using Quotes): Expr[Any] =
    import quotes.reflect.*

val tpe = TypeRepr.of[T]
    tpe.asType match
      case '[t] =>
        Expr((tpe.show, TypeRepr.of[t].show))

Depending on either the place where you call the macro or how you refer to the T (fully qualified Example.MyT or MyT), the _2 of the tuple can be different things! Sometime it’s the opaque type (as expected, and as _1), sometimes it’s the de-alised type.

@nicolasstucki has explained that opaque types are treated as RHS inside their companion objects, which kind of make sense - we need to construct them and work with underlying type somehow. But then why on Earth would different references (namespaced or not) give different results? Is it also by design? How user should debug that?

Sorry if it turned out a bit of a rant, but at the moment so much time has been spent on working around and debugging opaque types that I started to question whether I’ve got this idea of opaque-types-as-newtypes even remotely right (docs advertise a similar case). If they were designed as newtypes - to me it looks like it doesn’t work out. Unlike macro and even match types, which are more suited for library developers and/or advanced users, opaque types look so simple and userland’y, but then break the code in such subtle and hard-to-debug ways.

I have a few ideas on mind on how opaque types could be improved, but first wanted to know if I’ve got the idea wrong from the beginning.

3 Likes

here is something illustrating better the problem:

scala> val B: IsInt[Foo.Foo] = false
-- [E007] Type Mismatch Error: -------------------------------------------------
1 |val B: IsInt[Foo.Foo] = false
  |                        ^^^^^
  |               Found:    (false : Boolean)
  |               Required: IsInt[Foo.Foo]
  |
  |               Note: a match type could not be fully reduced:
  |
  |                 trying to reduce  IsInt[Foo.Foo]
  |                 failed since selector  Foo.Foo
  |                 does not match  case Int => (true : Boolean)
  |                 and cannot be shown to be disjoint from it either.
  |                 Therefore, reduction cannot advance to the remaining case
  |
  |                   case _ => (false : Boolean)
  |
  | longer explanation available when compiling with `-explain`
1 error found

ok, Foo.Foo does not match case Int => (true : Boolean) and cannot be shown to be disjoint from it either. What does this mean?

Basically it means that in a standard pattern match, e.g the body of a method, a value of type Foo.Foo would match case _: Int =>, so therefore Foo.Foo isn’t disjoint from Int. However it would be illegal in the match type to choose the Int case, because Foo.Foo is not Int.

Why do we have this system? its because if you have a method where its result type is a match type, then the method body can also be a pattern match of the same shape as the match type, and then calling the method can have a different result type depending on the input. example

6 Likes

Thanks, @bishabosha, that does make sense and also a good point against using them as newtypes.

On the other hand, not all match types end up as dependently-typed methods and we already have technical limitations when turning a match type into something in runtime e.g. no pattern guards. Wouldn’t it make sense to forbid opaque types only in dependently-typed methods using match types rather than forbidding type-level pattern match?

There’s another problem. Match types should reduce in the same way everywhere. But Foo is known to be equal to Int in some part of the program, and known to be different everywhere else. So you could get inconsistent match type reductions, depending on where you mention the match type. Haskell has a similar problem and it had to introduce the (IMO complicated and ugly) concept of “Roles” because of this.