2.13.0-M5 release train


It’s just about time to roll another milestone, the last one before 2.13.0-RC1. We aim to build M5 this week.

please review:

and please help review the open pull requests. As always, this is a collective endeavor.

334 pull requests (!!!) have been merged since M4. The most significant have the “release notes” label: https://github.com/scala/scala/pulls?utf8=✓&q=is%3Amerged+label%3Arelease-notes+milestone%3A2.13.0-M5 A great many of the rest are small fixes to the new collections.

The focus in M5 remains firmly on collections, as the centerpiece of the 2.13 release generally. M5 is our feature-freeze release for 2.13; from here forward, we’ll be closing existing open loops but not embarking on or accepting anything new.

  • Seth Tisue / Scala team / Lightbend


To reiterate, we will only accept collection fixes and anything directly related to improving collection usage and the migration to 2.13 (e.g., improved type inference for typical usage of the new collections) RC1.

Any changes that do not directly impact this will have to wait for 2.13.1. The RC cycle needs a narrow focus, so that we can release 2.13.0 soon (and thus 2.13.1 ;-)). I’ve started moving these PRs to the 2.13.1 milestone.


Are performance improvements for collections still on the table for 2.13.0? I wanted to do these after my PR for SeqMap was merged since @retronym also did some indirect work to improve performance


Yes, performance improvements can go into RC1 but we want to avoid API changes after M5.


Please note that I am on vacation until this Sunday August 12. I have already merged several changes to Scala.js due to new breaking changes in M5 wrt. M4, but several additional ones have made their way to master since then. I will need at least one week after being back from vacation to catch up with all those changes, then one more week to release a version of Scala.js that will be compatible with M5.


A quick update from the Scala team: We have cleared the ticket queue for M5 this week but there are still a few open PRs that we want to merge. We are therefore delaying the release of M5 until next week. Any new tickets and PRs should go to RC1 by default.


Is there a concrete date next week?