Updated Proposal: Revisiting Implicits

Looks better than the 0.22 planned until now! using reads much nicer than with too

One problem that was not voiced yet is this:

given [T] with Ord[T] as Ord[List[T]]

I asked about this 2 days ago. Still wondering if

given listOrd[T] as Ord[List[T]] (using Ord[T]){ ... }

or the current => syntax would be better, but what’s in your PR looks acceptable/good enough.

On the other hand…

given [T: Ordering] as Ordering[Tree]

is still pretty unreadable/confusing to me, both to me personally and imagining having to explain it to someone. Not a fan of as for this reason.

As for restrictions on typeclass coherence:
Rust has recently relaxed the orphan rule. They argue that the orphan rule forces one type to be aware of another. The newtype workaround is deemed cumbersome or impossible to use.

Announcing Rust 1.41.0 | Rust Blog

In Rust 1.40.0 this impl was forbidden by the orphan rule, as both From and Vec are defined in the standard library, which is foreign to the current crate. There were ways to work around the limitation, such as the newtype pattern, but they were often cumbersome or even impossible in some cases.

2451-re-rebalancing-coherence - The Rust RFC Book

Unless we expand the orphan rules, use cases like this one will never be possible, and a crate like Diesel will never be able to be designed in a completely extensible fashion.

Probably it doesn’t make sense to invent a syntax that prohibits orphans given the inconvenience of that restriction.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that keyword name is in any way definitive. Rust’s traits are in fact typeclasses from FP. Scala’s traits are pimped up OOP interfaces. Apple Swift has protocols which are a variation of typeclasses.

Haskell’s class is a type class. Those names are used interchangeably in official documentation, see: A Gentle Introduction to Haskell: Classes

1 Like

I see. Yes, there are some overlapping use cases. But the mechanisms to achieve them are quite different.

1 Like

Type classes are not just about adding behavior to third-party types; that would be the strategy pattern in its most simplistic form:

def parseJson[A](json: String, formatter: JsonFormatter[A]): A = ???
object HouseJsonFormatter extends JsonFormatter[House] { ... }
val house = parseJson("...", HouseJsonFormatter)

Type classes improve this pattern by allowing the instances of the generic strategy interface to be inferred “automatically”, by the mere action of including a reference (say, import) to the definition site of the instance.

The automatic inference is expected to take place only when the type class is required / bound. When it is not bound, for instance, in this example:

trait SemiGroup[A] {
  def (x: A)|+|(y: A): A
}

object SemiGroup {
  given additive: SemiGroup[Int] {
    def (a: Int)|+|(b: Int) = a + b 
  }
}

object Example {
  import SemiGroup.given
  def main(args: Array[String]) = println(5 |+| 2)
}

then it is not a type class, but merely an extension implementing an interface (which is not even necessary).

There are two differences between type classes and extensions, which help understand the purpose of type classes:

1. Extensions need not implement an interface.
  2. Extensions can be used without a bound interface; all they need is to be referenced in the current scope.

Type classes are intended to express the need of a certain abstract behavior via their bound interface, while extensions are merely a syntactic sugar for global / static functions.

In fact, type classes sound a lot like policy-based design, which I’m not too familiar with, but according to the wikipedia definition – “It has been described as a compile-time variant of the strategy pattern” – they seem very similar.

I spent some time attempting to convert the typeclasses in my project to the extension method style you suggested and I found the cases which caused the trouble.

The issue is that typeclasses like Monoid work really well with the style you’re recommending because they only have one type, and all methods are infix.

That style doesn’t work for typeclasses which involve multiple types (like Convertible), or have a postfix method that requires a type parameter (like Monad).

Interestingly, while a simplified version of the Monad definition in the “Implementing Typeclasses” docs did compile, the call site couldn’t resolve the extension method without an ops class. As the docs only show the definition, but no example of use, my guess is this is why it slipped through whatever tests you may have to ensure the docs compile.

So yes, there is currently boilerplate, and an import tax.

I’d prefer to minimize the boilerplate where feasible, and understand that it isn’t always going to be doable.

I’m fine with the import tax on syntax, managing the instances has always been the bigger headache.

I’m decidedly less fine with being told the import tax doesn’t exist when it’s fairly easy to show that it does.

Full example follows:

trait Convertible[A,B] {
  def (a: A) cast: B
}

object Convertible {
  def apply[A,B](given C: Convertible[A,B]): Convertible[A,B] = C

given Convertible[Int, String] {
    def (a: Int) cast: String = s"<$a>"
  }

object ops {
    given ops[A]: AnyRef {
      def[B](a: A) cast (given C: Convertible[A,B]): B = C.cast(a)
    }
  }
}

trait Monad[F[_]] {
  def [A, B](x: F[A]) bind(f: A => F[B]): F[B]
  def [A, B](x: F[A]) fmap(f: A => B): F[B] = x.bind(f `andThen` pure)

def[A](x: A) pure: F[A]
}
object Monad {
  def apply[F[_]](given M: Monad[F]): Monad[F] = M

given Monad[List] {
    def [A, B](xs: List[A]) bind(f: A => List[B]): List[B] = xs.flatMap(f)
    def[A](x: A) pure: List[A] = x :: Nil
  }
  object ops {
    given lifts[A]: AnyRef {
      def[F[_]] (a: A) pure (given M: Monad[F]): F[A] = M.pure(a)
    }
    given syntax[F[_], A]: AnyRef {
      def[B](fa: F[A]) fmap (f: A => B)(given M: Monad[F]): F[B] = M.fmap[A,B](fa)(f)
      def[B](fa: F[A]) bind (f: A => F[B])(given M: Monad[F]): F[B] = M.bind[A,B](fa)(f)
    }
  }
}

object Test extends App {
  def labeled(label: String, result: Any): Unit = {
    println(s"$label: $result")
  }
  {
    println("No Imports")
    println("----------")

labeled("Direct call (Convertible)", Convertible[Int,String].cast(5))
    labeled("Direct call (Monad)", Monad[List].pure(5))

labeled(
      "Call with type parameter",
      "error message is 'value cast is not a member of Int - did you mean (5 : Int).+?'"
      //5.cast[String]
    )
    labeled(
      "Postfix call",
      "error message is 'value pure is not a member of Int - did you mean (5 : Int).+?'"
      //5.pure[List]
    )
    labeled(
      "Infix call",
      "error message is 'value fmap is not a member of List[Int] - did you mean List[Int].map?'"
      //List(4).fmap(_.toString).bind(x => List(x, x))
    )
  }

println(". ")

{
    println("Extra Imports")
    println("-------------")
    import Convertible.ops.given
    import Monad.ops.given

labeled("Call with type parameter", 5.cast[String])
    labeled("Postfix call", 5.pure[List])
    labeled(
      "Infix call",
      List(4).fmap(_.toString).bind(x => List(x, x))
    )
  }
}

Live Version on Scastie

Thanks for the examples. It seems that this was overlooked in the current language design: when the extension method comes from an instance not defined in the companion of the type of the object on which we call the method.

As far as I understand, you could avoid defining ops methods and just do:

object Convertible {

given C: Convertible[Int, String] {
  }

}

import Convertible.given
5.cast[String]

But it does not currently work.

It’s also possibly inferior to using proper syntax imports, as the error one gets if some instances have not been imported are of the kind "not a member of T" instead of the more useful “no instance of MyClass[T] in scope”.

So maybe some simulacrum-style code gen could still be useful in addition to the existing mechanisms.

I think there are indeed some potential issues about when extension methods are in scope and when they aren’t. But the issue here is that there is no parameterized cast method.

The following does work (https://scastie.scala-lang.org/9Q4UB9WDT7WPJ1StfwfGoA)

import Convertible.given
val x: String = 5.cast
1 Like

I’m not sure what you refer to as “import tax”. Is it because you have to import ops? You could just get rid of the ops objects and place the extensions (ops, lifts, syntax) directly inside the companion objects of the type classes:

trait Convertible[A,B] {
}

object Convertible {

}

}
}

import Convertible.given
  val s1 = 1.cast[String]
  val s2: String = 2.cast
}

This is the same as @Jasper-M 's xample.

IMHO: It is a usual point of puzzlement in a case where such imports cannot be done globally.

It is very often when companion objects of type classes are just not available for modification.
That is why I think scala should have some sort of scope injection.

1 Like

You mean something like this?

object external {
  trait Convertible[A,B] {
  }

object Convertible {

}
  }
}

object ConvertibleOps {
  import external.Convertible

}
}

import ConvertibleOps.given

val s1 = 1.cast[String]
}

This actually seem to work, even though I didn’t expect the type instance to be propagated from the scope of ConvertibleOps to the one of Test.

Nevertheless I will follow martin’s advice, and will avoid such templates if it is possible.

This is not the surprising part and not what’s going on here. Try this instead:

// error - "Not found: type Convertible"
  type X = Convertible
}

Which is not different than how implicits work nowadays:

object external {
  trait Convertible[A,B] {
    def cast(a: A): B
  }

object Convertible {
    implicit object IntToString extends Convertible[Int, String] {
      def cast(a: Int): String = s"<$a>"
    }
  }
}

object ConvertibleOps {
  import external.Convertible

implicit class Ops[A](a: A) {
    def cast[B]()(implicit c: Convertible[A,B]): B = c.cast(a)
  }
}

import ConvertibleOps

// compiles
  val s1 = 1.cast[String]

// doesn't
  type X = Convertible
  val x = IntToString
}

Which is one of the reasons why implicits are confusing. They do not only get applied in the local scope upon import – a name resolution mechanism – but are being propagated between scopes, unlike names.

I have compiled it in dottyVersion “0.21.0-RC1”
(Original source code just cannot be compiled it seems it is misprint )
It can be compiled with

or

import ConvertibleOps._

Actually I do not understand why implicit conversion can be imported via simple import or via given import. It seems unlogical.
It is a big surprise for me that

import ConvertibleOps._

can also be compiled.

I really don’t know why my code does not without an expected type, and works with one. The available implicit instances are not ambiguous AFAICT (ping @smarter).

That’s the current Scala 2 syntax, which (in this scenario) is equivalent to Dotty’s import COps.given.

The following actually behaves in a non-surprising way (Scala 2);

object a {
  implicit val x = 1
}

object b {
  import a._
  def foo()(implicit i: Int) = i
  def bar() = foo()
}

object c {
  b.foo() // doesn't compile
  b.bar() // compiles
}

Yet this behaves surprisingly:

object a {
  trait TypeClass[A] {
    def foo(): String
  }
  object TypeClass {
    implicit object IntTC extends TypeClass[Int] { def foo(): String = "int" }
  }
}

object b {
  import a._
  def foo[A](a: A)(implicit tc: TypeClass[A]) = tc.foo()
  def bar() = foo(1)
}

object c {
  b.foo(42) // compiles (surprising)
  b.bar() // compiles
}

If you believe you’ve found an issue in the implementation, please report it on github.com/lampepfl/dotty/issues, it’s impossible to keep track of these things properly in a thread like this.

3 Likes

What are you referring to? The “surprising” behavior discussed above is the same as with the old implicits, so I’m assuming it’s intentional.

I’m talking in general, I don’t have time right now to look into details at all the code samples flying around above.

2 Likes

Yes, each thing you need to import is a cost for users who want to access the feature. IIRC, referring to this as a “tax” on the feature originated in a talk from the 2011 Northeast Scala Symposium and a followup article.

As I said above, I’m not opposed to this for enabling additional syntax, I am primarily annoyed at the presumption of incompetence I received when pointing out that you do actually need to define and import a separate ops object to contain the extensions in some cases.

Your alternative suggestion to define them in the companion object and bulk import the givens is unworkable for two reasons:

1. It’s the same number of imports.
    If you go back and check my example, you’ll note that I did not need to import the instances, only the syntax, so your suggestion is equivalent.
  2. The blanket import flattens the given prioritization, removing the ability to define relative priority.

The implementation is fine, though if the boilerplate could be reduced it’d be awesome. Being told that a simplistic example in the docs means I can’t possibly be correct about more complicated behavior is not.

1 Like