The @alpha notation

@bytecodeName, @internalName, @platformName

1 Like

Exactly this, yes! Having both names defined at the same time enables using operators without as much pain. It makes it clear that you canā€™t override just one or the other or override the two names separately. Both names are wanted for calling conventions, but two separate and separable definitions is undesirable.

Having the declaration force the operator to be used and make the linked name become unavailable will absolutely make people avoid this feature and continue the old behavior of defining one name in terms of the other instead.

9 Likes

Relevant open ticket on the Dotty issue tracker: @alpha conflicts with user-defined aliases, which contains a link to some gitter discussion as well.

What about simply @aka("plus"). Too cute maybe?

4 Likes

If non-mandatory, I like @aka very much ā€“ short and with a promise of being known :slight_smile: But then I definately think it also should be known from the Scala side. I concur with @hypatian 's and @kai 's and others views that if the annotation generates an automatic Scala method with nice doc from scaladoc generated, then there is a big benefit of using it: you get something for the extra code spent on annotation and import. I donā€™t find it critical to beginners (esp the binary compatibility reasoning is probably very abstract to them) but it sure is a bonus if you can google + using plus (even if unrelated social network google plus is dead these days :smile: ), and searching the net for docs is what we do all the time as @deusaquilus points out. And that is easy to explain to a beginnerā€¦ If you are rewarded with generated stuff on the Scala side (method + docs) then library authors might be more inclined to use it consistently.

1 Like

It would be good if other members of the SIP committee would weigh in here since the opposition to providing dual names was quite strong.

I can recall two reasons:

First, it leads to more ways to do things. A library writer might use an alpha annotation for a symbolic name since thatā€™s the recommended way to treat symbolic names. But that would open the possibility for everyone to call the method with the symbolic or the alphanumeric name. We have learned by now that this is a bad idea. We just got rid of the ability to call normal methods infix, so we do not want to open another way to make one use of a library look different from the next one. One could say that Scala already provides more than one way to do things in many instances, so how is this different? I would argue this is worse since itā€™s more indirect. When Scala provides different ways to do things, we have usually a very detailed reasoning why this is so, and we avoid the different ways unless there is indeed a good reason why both ways should be supported. This is more indirect: No matter what library A does, its clients can call it in different ways and thereā€™s not even internal consistency enforced.

The other reason is that I believe allowing both names to be called would be an encouragement to define more symbolic methods. By now, thereā€™s strong push-back against symbolic names because they are harder to google. But if this argument goes away, I see many people using some symbolic names they fancy with the argument that one can still use the alpha name if one does not like it. Seen over the whole ecosystem, this will likely lead to a worse codebase than otherwise.

This reasoning might look strange to some people. We all just want the flexibility and argue that we should be trusted to use it wisely. The one thing I learned the hard way is that this is just not true. People will generally not use it wisely, or not agree what wise usage is. The only way to restrain this is if the language is more opinionated, and this matters most at the interface between a library and its clients.

But yes, @aka would imply that both names are usable, so @encodeAs or @platformName are better to express this.

2 Likes

It does and potentially some names should be automatically inferred, only if you want to develop a library or in any case need something as advanced as Scala-to-Java interop you can easily learn the other way.

Iā€™m still not clear how @alpha can possibly work with mixed-language type hierarchies. Consider this scenario:

• Interface AJ, written in Java, declares a method plus
  • Trait AS, written in Scala, declares method + with @alpha("plus")
  • Interface BJ, written in Java, extends both AJ and AS, and declares method plus
  • Trait CS, written in Scala, extends BJ

We assume all method signatures are identical.

As seen from BJ, there is an AJ.plus and an AS.plus, so we expect BJ.plus to override both of them.

But what does CS see now? Clearly, it should see BJ.plus. Does it also still see AS.+? But how is that possible if BJ.plus overrides AS.+?

1 Like

Yes, thanks for clarification; I can definitely accept that argumentation, although I think the argumentation may be different depending on if we talk about simple symbolic plus/minus with intuitive semantics of adding and removing etc and other esoteric ones not taught since primary schoolā€¦ So one opportunity is maybe to have special rules for a selection of ā€œwell knownā€ symbolic operators and require hoops to jump over for more esoteric symbolic methods. But then again we want to avoid special cases and make things generalā€¦ Iā€™m hesitating on what is best in general and trust you experienced language designers on the semantics of non-mandatory @alpha or what it will be called (preferably something short). But Iā€™m still wholeheartedly convinced that a type with a simple + method or similar should not require ā€œstrangeā€ complication, as said already. (And I can without problems live with defining alpha-named method aliases to symbolic operators myself in my libraries when needed, and pledge not to introduce def !:#!//!:==>> :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: )

But what does CS see now? Clearly, it should see BJ.plus . Does it also still see AS.+ ? But how is that possible if BJ.plus overrides AS.+ ?

Thereā€™s no need to guess, one can try it out. CS sees both + and plus. They both mean the implementation in CS, no matter whether the implementation in AS is concrete or abstract.

How about we declare the set of ā€œstandardā€ operators exempt from the annotation requirement?

Everyone knows how +, *, etc. should be read out loud ā€“ wee donā€™t need an annotation there (we would ideally use clear internal names for them, like plus and times instead of $plus and $times, but that would probably cause migration problems).

The real place we need to enforce this annotation is for obscure names like ^?#!ā€¦

Many languages, like C++, Python, and Rust, already allow ā€œoverloadingā€ standard operator names, so this would be quite natural to understand for beginners.

Iā€™d read ^?#! as what it does (eg ā€œA could be a Bā€ if thatā€™s what it does) - but itā€™d be the same as the alpha name, I guess

I suppose common names would be ā€œbyā€ for / and ā€œmoduloā€ for %. But % is also used in SBT files to construct artefact definitions, and / is used to construct paths in various libraries, including Better Files and Akka Http.

1 Like

Nothing prevents you from annotating these operators, if they have non-standard meanings.

Yes I agree that ā€œsimpleā€ symbolic methods such as + - etc are far less problematic, and a special rule for them might be good, but on the other hand, every new rule is a potential burden. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s best here, but Iā€™m sure plausible code should be as easy to read and understand as possible.

I want to mention the solution of adding an optional boolean parameter to the annotation to expose the name, not so much because I think thats the right solution but to have it out there.

@encodeAs("combine", visible=true)
def |+|(a: A)

The longer I look at it the less I like it (and the less I like this is done in an annotation rather than dedicated syntax), but at least itā€™s out there now.

In FP there are some established symbolic combinators. It would be great if they could be conveniently offered by libraries.

Itā€™d be nice if reflection wouldnā€™t be used if you called a method in a structural type from an inline def. Then you might be able to provide a + method for all classes that define a plus method or something like that.

extension [A <: {def plus(o: B): C}, B, C](a: A)
    inline def +(o: B): C = a.plus(o)
2 Likes

Why are we mainly discussing an option where the symbolic name is primary, but the operator is secondary? An ideal solution in my book would designate the alphabetic name as THE primary ā€“ and it would be the name shown on hover by IDE, featured in documentation, etc. and the name of the method to override when implementing the class:

trait Monoid[A] {
  extension(self: A)
    @aka("++")
    def combine(that: A): A

def empty: A
}

The bytecodeName concern can be handled with a separate annotation, and would indeed be a great way of resolving overloads instead of DummyImplicit

def fn(a: Any)
@bytecodeName("fnT")
def fn[T](t: T)

Operator byte code name may be handled in the same aka annotation:

@aka("*>", bytecodeName = "starRight")
def productR[F[_], A, B](fa: F[A], fb: F[B]): F[B]
13 Likes

I understand the appeal of having both names accessible from Scala, but I still canā€™t decide between ++= and addAll, especially because of the risk of accidentally incurring ā€œinfix assignment expansion.ā€

Duelling dual names could be resolved by using export with rename:

class C { def addAll() = () ; export this.{addAll => ++=} }

and using an annotation for the platform encoding or interop name, with a language feature to enable use of encoded names (and perhaps disable use of the symbolic name, to avoid mixed usages).

I was going to joke about how I avoid confusion by using 42.$plus(1), but just realized:

scala> locally { var x = 42 ; x.$plus$eq(1) ; x }
val res3: Int = 43

Whew, ā€œfixed in dottyā€:

scala> locally { var x = 42 ; x.$plus$eq(1) ; x }
1 |locally { var x = 42 ; x.$plus$eq(1) ; x }
  |                       ^^^^^^^^^^
  |                       value $plus$eq is not a member of Int

So under the language feature scheme, import language.alpha would enable selecting a member $plus or plus introduced by an explicit @alpha("plus") but not the arbitrary use of $plus$eq, and to enforce that style perhaps also disable use of +.

1 Like