Synthesize constructor for opaque types

There’s almost definitely a cleaner way of unwrapping it. The intention was to sanity check the feasibility of using a union with a path-dependent type to implement a zero-allocation wrapper that’s got nicer semantics than opaque types.

Opaque types are a bit awkward for this, as that’s apparently not really what they’re meant for. So if this type of encoding can work, then it’s possible we can refine that approach to get to a zero-allocation wrapper that can be defined in a couple of lines and has the sort of quality of life stuff you see in existing newtype implementations.

I still don’t get it, you can do the same with an opaque type as far as I can tell:

trait NewType[Wrapped] {
  opaque type Type = Wrapped

def apply(w: Wrapped): Type = w

extension (t: Type) {
    def unwrap: Wrapped = t
  }
}
2 Likes

Yep, that looks promising.

Attempting a direct translation of the existing solution missed a way to use opaque types to build a replacement (rather than opaque types being a direct replacement) :man_facepalming:

It looks like all the imports/scopes work intuitively, though there’s probably additional opportunities for exploring ways to keep primitives from boxing.

object definitions {
  trait NewType[Wrapped] {
    opaque type Type = Wrapped

def apply(w: Wrapped): Type = w

extension (t: Type) {
      def unwrap: Wrapped = t
    }
  }
}
object types {
  object Name extends definitions.NewType[String]
  type Name = Name.Type

object Email extends definitions.NewType[String]
  type Email = Email.Type
}
object using {
  import types.{Name, Email}

@main
  def test (): Unit = {  
    def foo(str: String): Unit = {
      println(str)
    }
    def bar(n: Name, e: Email): Unit = {
      println(s"$n @ $e")
    }

val name = Name("JDoe")
    val email = Email("[email protected]")

//foo(name)
    //  Found:    (name : types.Name.Type)
    //  Required: String

//foo(email)
    //  Found:    (email : types.Email.Type)
    //  Required: String

foo(name.unwrap)
    foo(email.unwrap)

bar(name, email)

//bar(email, name)
    //  Found:    (email : types.Email.Type)
    //  Required: types.Name
    //  Found:    (name : types.Name.Type)
    //  Required: types.Email
  }
}

As a business user, not a library one, this is my use case, and the one for which I thought opaque type will help:

• all my business objects are identified by UUID (ie a string)
  • I have (tens? hundreds?) millions of these ids in hundreds of different business objects.
  • they are used in a lots of Map, Set, etc
  • they all have a trivial “debug/display string” (the underlying string - note that I would LOVE to be able to compile-time forbid toString on them) and a trivial constructor (from the string).

My primary goal is to have a compiler that helps and so I never ever want to have to wonder if I mixed a “GroupId” with a “RuleId”, be able to safely refactor, etc. For exemple I want to be able to test for equality on them and know when I don’t compare same kind of IDs (it’s always an error, likely due because I’m refactoring and I changed a method parameter or whatever).
That help MUST be as easy to use and natural in scala code as possible, BUT explicit. I never ever want a string to be magically used as a RuleId for ex. Like I never ever want to print a RuleId directly, always its debug string.

Just to be very very clear: defining such objects must be as easy and boilerplate free as possible, else they are not used as much as they should. This is integral part of the first goal. Typically, I often define algorithm-local identifier to differentiate between different step of the computation. [EDIT: instanciating these objects must be trivial, ie case class-like and no more, but defining them for the simple case must be simple too]

So for that, until now, I used case class for that. And in some cases value class but the constraint rarely worth it (top level definition, etc)

final case class RuleId(value: String) 

A second goal is to minimize as much as possible the runtime cost of my model that is only here to help developpers at compile time. The fact that a ruleid is more than a string is useless at runtime. Actually, I would like to be able to explore alternative runtime representation without changing compile-time API (which of course includes whatever serialization/debug representation needed). For ex: I would love to know if switching from a string encapsulated in class is much more costly than, say, array of two longs in real load. But today the cost of that test is big.

Finally, some IDs are composed with 2 or more UUIDs and I have a lot of others similare objects like that, composed from some simple types, like stats objects (tens of long, each long having its own semantic). And I want to have a consistant recipe for dealing with all these cases in a consistant way, so that new dev on the project (or old dev coming to a similar problem a couple of month after) can just copy/past existing example without having to worry of too much ceremony, scalac implementation details, or other surprising things.

For these three points, I would LOVE to have a consistent, boiler-plate light way to deal with that case (without having to wait for Valhalla)
I will explore if opaque type are a good feet for that.

18 Likes

This is totally unsound, regardless of how erasure is encoded.

@ toName("Frodo"): NameTag
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.base/java.lang.String cannot be cast to ammonite.$sess.cmd0$NameTag
  ammonite.$sess.cmd5$.<clinit>(cmd5.sc:1)

I also don’t know what you’re trying to show. As @smarter says, the same can be done (soundly) with opaque types today. I think the main problem raised by the community is that this is already too much boilerplate.

2 Likes

This!

That is exactly the major motivation mentioned in the original SIP:

Authors often introduce type aliases to differentiate many values that share a very common type (e.g. String , Int , Double , Boolean , etc.). In some cases, these authors may believe that using type aliases such as Id and Password means that if they later mix these values up, the compiler will catch their error. However, since type aliases are replaced by their underlying type (e.g. String ), these values are considered interchangeable (i.e. type aliases are not appropriate for differentiating various String values).

However, the SIP mentions that – up until now – this was possible to implement via value classes (AnyVal), but that the problem with them is that they do not have sufficient performance.

In short, the SIP tries to “kill two birds with one stone”; i.e, non-interchangeable types and better value classes (which have other uses as well).