Resolving the tension between beginner friendliness and advanced usage

Regarding websites, and marketing in general:

Want to see a language website that really sells shit? Go here: https://vlang.io/

Mind you, almost everything on this website and around V-Lang in general is a lie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingLanguages/comments/j4sjdb/the_v_programming_language/

Still it has over 30% more stars on GitHub than Scala 2 & 3 together!

V is done by a complete amateur (and liar) who built a string replace “compiler”, PHP v1 grade. Nothing of the promised stuff will ever work because there is no concept behind. Still a lot people buying the marketing!

I don’t say that Scala should use such shady tactics to sell. Scala doesn’t need that!

If Scala would show off just 30% of the things how it can make Avarage-Jos’s life easier, and what cool capability to do concrete things it unlocks this would be already very effective marketing.

This includes of course not only concentrating on one capability! Having an One-Trick-Pony doesn’t sell to a broad audience. But Scala is (thankfully still) not an One-Trick-Pony. You can use it in all kinds of circumstances. This should be advertised accordingly.

In some fields Scala is even completely unique. No other general purpose language has for example broad standing in hardware development like Scala has with Chisel. RISC-V land is mostly Scala land… But almost nobody is talking about that. (Maybe because nobody there cares about “pure FP” Haskell-style, but all what counts are the DSL features? Which get treat lately almost as an orphan, which is not good.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t point to stars as an example of V being of more interest to people. Buying github stars is a thing, and if that guy is lying about what can be done with his language to boost his language (and you accuse him of doing just that), it’s not inconceivable that he would buy stars to present his language project as high-interest on github.

Don’t care much about V, even if the work were legit, which I know nothing about that, I wouldn’t pick that betting my start-up’s future on it. Certainly not about the number of stars alone, but industry readiness is what I am looking at. V does not reflect that. Should anyone want to model “marketing” (term which I am not too much of a fan either), I would dispense V as a template. Great industry-driven examples are F# and Julia.

We (the Scala Center) have just launched a new look for the homepage of scala-lang.org which puts more emphasis on the use cases for Scala. please take a look (may need to reset caches).

15 Likes

That is some good improvement and a great start! I will hold on to my thoughts for now and simply appreciate what’s been done. Thank you!

2 Likes

The PR with the changes is Updates to the homepage - add new tagline, why scala? and use cases by bishabosha · Pull Request #1518 · scala/scala-lang · GitHub , in case you don’t have the old state of the page memorized :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think have better Java interopt is essential too.

1 Like

For the data science crowd, Python’s as well. https://scalapy.dev/ seems like a good start, but as it is, it does not seem ready for prime time yet. Not to mention the build process which looks very complicated.

1 Like