Proposal to drop Weak Conformance from the language

I didn’t talk about erasure, but val theAnswer = 42 would be typed as Byte', hence Int & Long & Short & Byte & Float & Double, but in the absence of any explicit Byte or Short type, would be erased in the bytecode to Int by default, or Long if Int is not in the intersection. But TASTY would still encode that it’s a Byte' and not an Int. (To Java, it would look like an int, though.)

1 Like

No, there should be no need for boxing. The intersection types would erase to primitives in the bytecode.

1 Like

We considered the intersection type trick, but then decided it was out of scope. Intersection types and union types are rather costly for typechecking and type inference. Making every literal have a large intersection type is not going to make the compiler faster.

Besides, intersection types on the left of a subtype judgement also have the problem that they lead to incompleteness. Consider a subtype goal like:

A & B <: C

This is true if A <: C or B <: C. The or is bad news since both of the two subgoals might constrain type variables. In the end one has to choose one or the other of the two subgoals to pursue, and stick to it, which means that some solutions to constraint solving might be lost. This is the essential problem behind set constraints and subtyping constraints only make it worse.

Bottom line: Intersection types are not a free lunch either.

2 Likes

For the intersection types to be really useful, we’d also need to add a common supertype Numeric <: AnyVal that defined common arithmetic operations. Otherwise you couldn’t write (list: List[Int']).map(_ + 1), and without that, how useful is a List[Int'] really? And Martin has said they don’t want to change the number hierarchy.

Actually, this already works out pretty well:

scala> type IntLike = Int & Long & Double
// defined alias type IntLike = Int & Long & Double

scala> val list = List[IntLike](42.asInstanceOf)
val list: List[IntLike] = List(42)

scala> list.map(_ + 1)                                                          
val res19: List[Int & Long & Double] = List(43)

scala> list.map(_ + 1.2)                                                       
val res20: List[Double] = List(43.2)

scala> list.map(_ + 2L)                                                    
val res21: List[Long & Double] = List(44)

If it’s been considered already, then I guess there’s no need to pursue it…

But FWIW, I wouldn’t have thought that the performance issue would be significant: Literals are not that common in code; the intersections are not that large (there’s a limit of six types). I would have thought a single implicit search would be orders of magnitude more work. On the other hand, it’s not clear to me yet how widely these intersection types would typically be perpetuated.

The incompleteness of unification sounds like more of a problem, but I’m not sure I’m understanding correctly when it would come into play: these are general problems with unification, but the intersections of AnyVal subtypes arising from literals would be non-overlapping and not parameterized. I suspect I’ve missed the point, somewhere! For the type system to provide useful results, we would probably want to introduce a new arbitrary rule to select certain priorities (as I suggested for overload resolution).

Anyway, given @Jasper-M’s example (which surprised me, actually… I’m not convinced weak-conformance isn’t being applied here, and I actually expected the intersection to collapse under application of an overloaded +), it might be a fun exercise for someone with more time than me to attempt to implement and run some tests against, on the basis that it probably won’t be merged, but could provide interesting evidence about whether it’s a better or worse situation than the status quo. If I had a couple of days free, I’d love to try it myself…

1 Like

It doesn’t really work - I can’t make the list contain doubles, only ints:

scala> val list = List[Int&Double](1.asInstanceOf, 1.1.asInstanceOf)
val list: List[Int & Double] = List(1, 1)

scala> list.last
val res1: Int & Double = 1

ETA: which makes sense, because the type Int&Double doesn’t allow non-integer values. So I don’t see how this is useful, but maybe I’m missing your point.

In @Jasper-M’s example, the + isn’t really overloaded. The type Int&Double is a subtype of Int, so Dotty coerces the values to Ints and binds the + to Int.+. Illustrated by the exception here:

scala> val list = List[AnyVal](1, 1.1).asInstanceOf[List[Int&Double]] // Illegal cast
val list: List[Int & Double] = List(1, 1.1)

scala> list.map(_+1)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Double cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer

I’m not saying that this is working perfectly already. But apparantly once you correctly set up all types, dotty is already able to handle this (as far as the type system is concerned). And (list: List[Int']).map(_ + 1) does work.

The way some intersections get erased might need some tweaking indeed. But the casts in your example are unsound in this new scheme as well. As you said 1.1 is not a valid Int & Double in any scenario. So it’s expected that this blows up.

@propensive Here’s a problematic example:

Int & Double <: X & Y

where X and Y are type variables. You can solve this by taking X=Int and Y=Double or
the other way around. The two solutions could have drastically different consequences downstream.

1 Like

But apparantly once you correctly set up all types, dotty is already able to handle this (as far as the type system is concerned). And (list: List[Int']).map(_ + 1) does work.

map(_+1) binds to some one concrete type’s + method. It doesn’t work if the List[Int'] contains values of more than one concrete type. That’s the important bit, and it’s missing. For similar reasons, you can’t actually construct such a list holding values of different concrete types without explicit casts, and if you construct it using asInstanceOf you won’t be able to apply any methods that don’t exist on Any.

@propensive proposed that:

every number literal is typed as the intersection of all of the numeric types that can accurately and precisely represent is.

But it’s not that way today, so Int&Double is an empty type. I’m afraid don’t understand what the relevant value/behavior is that you think already exists and didn’t in Scala 2.x, beyond type intersections per se. Can you please explain?

Thanks, @odersky. I suppose it would be equally correct (more generally correct?) to choose X = Int | Double and Y = Int | Double, but I can easily believe that that could be the start of further problems downstream…

1 Like

Thanks for exploring this, Daniel! For any parameterized type, there would be a unique choice for which type from the intersection would be chosen for the erased type. From a Java point-of-view, that would be the end of the story, but Scala would also have access to the full type intersection. The fact that Scala has been tracking the exact literals would mean that the intersection type stored in TASTY would provide all the information the compiler needed to know that it could safely cast any of the values in the List (or whatever it is) to any one of the types in the intersection.

I’m not sure why Dotty permits mapping using the overloaded + method like that, but I think it just makes a choice using weak conformance.

2 Likes

A more radical choice would be to give numeric literals no type at all. Any numeric literal which is typed without an expected numeric type would be an error. Unfortunately this includes statements such as val x = 1. Explicit suffixes for Int and Double can make this easier (val x = 1i) but you could also consider making an exception for variable definitions (and infer Int or Double, respectively).

I like @propensive’s proposal, but if that’s impractical, here’s another view:

Like @soronpo mentioned, there’s a view in which implicit widening and implicit conversion (which are currently separate) could be unified, by replacing the former with the latter.

Provide implicit conversions (maybe behind an import, or maybe in predef) where there’s no loss of precision – Byte => Int, Int => Long, Float => Double, Int => Double etc.

Then, look at it from the “principle of least surprise”. Let’s say the List, Array, etc. constructors were “builders” instead:

val foo = Array().add(1).add(1.0).add(1.0f).build()
// instead of
val foo = Array(1, 1.0, 1.0f)

Then, you’d expect the type of the result to be decided by the first thing you add. So I’d propose that the first argument to the constructor should decide the type, and further arguments would have to be either the same type, or be implicitly converted to the same type. If that can’t happen, you get a reasonable compile error that it’s the wrong type.

If the conversions were placed in predef, this would render most usages of literal-based collection construction source compatible (except in cases like Array(0, 1.0, 3.0), in which case they would have to change the first element of the constructor. Hashtag sorrynotsorry)

This would also probably simplify the typechecker considerably, especially if it were generally applied to varargs methods. I think it’s a reasonable constraint that I personally wouldn’t mind being applied to all of my code. In particular, users of -Xfatal-warnings -Ywarn-numeric-widen, which is a thing that lots of people (including myself) frequently cargo-cult from Rob Norris, wouldn’t be affected at all. Others would get a reasonable, easily-corrected (possibly even automatically correctable?) compile-time error.

1 Like

Right - the idea of syntactic literals that can then be rendered into one of a range of concrete numeric types is where I would be starting if I were starting not from here. The Haskel numerical support works a lot like this, and is quite nice to work with. So, very roughly:

1 : given Numeric[N] => N
3.14 : given Floating[F] => F

Then the numeric typeclasses would have some “under the hood” magics to actually make the representation from the parsed constant, which would be, I hope, applied at compilation and fully inlined away.

But perhaps we can’t get to this from where we are now.

1 Like

sorry but I think that’s the worst variant of all presented here. Array(a, b, c) is precisely not Array().add(a).add(b).add(c). Then we wouldn’t need any type inference at all.

1. I am in support of dropping weak conformance.
  2. I am against giving literal expressions a voodoo power.

A static type system is a lightweight proof engine to check that your program behaves reasonably, and prevents calling method .eat(banana) on an Int, for instance. It’s a lightweight system because it makes the assumption that all terms in a type behave in the same way with regards to the type checking.

In the world where we can’t tell the type of literal expression 1 for sure, how would one prove its soundness?

1 Like

Let me try to elaborate a bit. What’s being proposed here is a proposal to drop referential transparency from numeric literal. People use 1 + 1 as a safe example of a pure expression because it is expected that 1 and 2 evaluate to Int type.

scala> def head[A](xs: A*): A = xs.head
head: [A](xs: A*)A

scala> head(1 + 1, 5.0f)
res0: Float = 2.0

scala> head(2, 5.0f)
res1: Float = 2.0

In Scala 3, res0 will evaluate to AnyVal. Ideally neither should compile because Int and Float are incompatible types (Int.MaxValue can’t be expressed using Float), but those two expressions getting types are different level of bad in my opinion.

2 Likes

I would love to disallow weak conformance. Actually, I was happy with OCaml behavior back in the day, so you still have a fair marge of strictness (ok, other people call that “user unfriendlyness”) before I got fed up.

Some caveats with the current proprosition:

• I love @propensive idea about intersection type, and I feel sorry it can’t seem to work. Is it certain it is not the correct solution for the long term? (I saw Proposal to drop Weak Conformance from the language and corresponding answers)
  • if we go that way, I REALLY need a compiler flag to error on inference to AnyVal. I’m totally happy to be forced to write val foo: List[AnyVal] = List(1L, 'x', 4.3) if really it’s what I want - I don’t want that, and if I want, I really, really want everybody to be sure that it’s a conscius decision, not an inferance problem.
  • regarding user friendlyness, I believe val foo = List(1, 2.0, 3) //oups, List[Double] is really, really suprising.

All in all, I believe that the proposal make things better (more strict).