3.5.1 release thread

Scala 3.5.1 is ready for testing!

It’s the first patch release in the 3.5 line. Some notable improvements can be observed in the JVM which would now fix source positions for synthetic units in if-expressions or more deterministic order of indirectly extended traits. It also brings noticeable improvements to the presentation compiler which should benefit IDE’s using it. This version also brings improvements to the experimental named tuples feature that we encourage you to try out.

For more info, see a changelog on the already mentioned release page for 3.5.1-RC1 and 3.5.1-RC2

Due to the long delay in the Scala 3.5.0 release, we’re expecting a relatively short testing period for 3.5.1, but it will be released no earlier than September 5th.
You can also expect 1 more patch release in the 3.5 series this year, before the first release of 3.6.0.

4 Likes

Thanks for the great work!
I just noticed Scala-cli 1.5.0 got released, will this make it into 3.5.1 as default runner? Currently 3.5.0 defaults to 1.4.0:

❯ scala version
Scala code runner version: 1.4.0
Scala version (default): 3.5.0

Edit: @Gedochao answered on Discord that it will likely be 1.4.3 (with 1.5.0 likely deferred until 3.6.0)

Just for clarification. We discussed this topic some time ago in the Scala compiler team. We’ve decided we will bump Scala CLI only in minor releases of Scala. We may revise that policy in the future. We follow the same rules for other external projects, eg. the Scala.js version targeted by the compiler.

1 Like

Scala 3.5.1 has been released!

You can also checkout what’s coming up in the next in the 3.5.2 release thread

5 Likes

Did the scala runner get updated in this patch release as well? In 3.5.0 the default runner has performance issues on Windows.

It’s now 1.4.3 (was 1.4.0).

❯ scala version
Scala code runner version: 1.4.3
Scala version (default): 3.5.1
1 Like

Oh yeah now I see there is a specific section of Runner in the release notes. I thought this kind of thing would have been highlighted.

1 Like