What version of Scala should "sbt console" use when outside of a project?

Should it pull down the latest unless you specify a Scala version like so: sbt --version=2.11.1 console

Currently it defaults to 2.10.

Currently I refrain from using it when outside of a project because sbt creates a target folder in the pwd anyway.

2 Likes

sbt 0.13 was released a long time ago. The next one would use Scala 2.12. I disagree as a principle on introducing the notion of "just use the latest."
If we think about how that would be implemented, that would be sbt randomly checking the Internet for the latest Scala version and then using that for your build. Thatā€™s a bad experience for both serious projects and getting started new users since tutorial canā€™t be written reliablly.

1 Like

The overarching goal is to allow people to use the REPL without having to install the binaries. sbt console could be the easiest way to accomplish this. However, we also want people to be able to use sbt console offline. Perhaps it could use the latest cached version of Scala.

I donā€™t necessarily agree here. In 2017 Iā€™d say the opposite, that realizing sbt console is using 2.10 (which was released 4 years ago) is more surprising than ā€œsbt REPL thingyā€ using the most up-to-date version of Scala.

To say a bit more about the problem weā€™re currently trying to solveā€¦ Weā€™re trying to figure out how we can, for extreme beginners to Scala, instruct them on how to (1) download sbt, and (2) get into a REPL to play around without needing a Scala project defined first.

Since sbt is the way to compile/run Scala, it would make sense that getting into a REPL would be as straightforward as possible.

2 Likes

Things I personally think would be nice: (maybe no one agrees with meā€¦)

1. You can do sbt console or sbt repl or something and get a Scala REPL with some more up-to-date version of Scala
  2. If you called sbt console etc in a folder without a project, it would be nice if there was no target directory created in the current directory. (Maybe sbt could check if thereā€™s an sbt project in the current directory, and if not, use some scratch target directory elsewhere that the user doesnā€™t have to bother with)

Again, the point is to focus on beginners.

1 Like

At least paulpā€™s script has a flag

Even without paulpā€™s script, you can always do:

sbt '++2.12.1 console'

But that doesnā€™t solve the target folder issueā€¦

2 Likes

It also maybe isnā€™t the simplest thing to tell a beginner to do and hope that they remember. Something a bit more concise would be nicer I think.

I agree. A dedicated repl command sounds like a good idea then.

That way the console command keeps its current behavior. You canā€™t really test if you are in a project or not anyway since any folder is a valid sbt project, so it would be better to keep the two commands separate.

3 Likes

heathermiller http://contributors.scala-lang.org/users/heathermiller
January 30

Things I personally think would be nice: (maybe no one agrees with meā€¦)

1. You can do sbt console or sbt repl or something and get a Scala
    REPL with some more up-to-date version of Scala
  2. If you called sbt console etc in a folder without a project, it
    would be nice if there was no target directory created in the current
    directory. (Maybe sbt could check if thereā€™s an sbt project in the current
    directory, and if not, use some scratch target directory elsewhere that the
    user doesnā€™t have to bother with)

Another possiblity is that when SBT exits, if it didnā€™t generate anything
useful (e.g., it was only used for a repl session), it cleans up after
itself.
Not sure which is simpler to implement. Also itā€™s possible this could be
solved at the bash script level.

1 Like

How about just amm? Ammonite works on all platforms I think, is simple to install, and defaults to 2.12.

2 Likes

Ammonite is awesome, and indeed Iā€™d recommend it to beginners. But I guess Iā€™m just optimizing for what we assume people have already installed ā€“ focusing in particular on sbt, because to use Scala, you need sbt.

That said, it would be cool if sbt by default did the straightforward thing out of the boxā€¦

I would also really like it if we could integrate and provide ammonite out of the box. Not only is it much better than the default shell, it actually provides a great environment for beginners since you can easily import libraries into the shell and start hacking straight away

1 Like

Again, I was focusing only on sbt. While ammonite is nice, the point of this thread is: assuming you are using sbt, it would be nice ifā€¦

If you are advocating for ammonite to become the default REPL, thatā€™s a totally different question, although itā€™s a cool idea. For that though I guess we would have to ask @lihaoyi to participate in the SIP or SPP processes.

Iā€™m happy to be involved, but I think the current state of Ammonite is that it needs more maintainership before we can even think about making it standard.

Although I think Iā€™m doing a terrific, amazing job maintaining it (lots of people are talking about how good a job Iā€™m doing) I think that including libraries with only one maintainer as a ā€œdefaultā€ experience sounds to me like a recipe for bitrot and eventual abandonment.

Also, this is unfortunately incorrect:

Ammonite works on all platforms I think

While Ammonite scripts should work on all platforms, the REPL unfortunately does not Ammonite-REPL doesn't work on Windows Ā· Issue #119 Ā· com-lihaoyi/Ammonite Ā· GitHub

While I havenā€™t used windows for programming for a few years now, itā€™s probably pretty common in the overall community. Unless someone makes this work, Ammonite wouldnā€™t be able to serve some large portion of Scalaā€™s user base

2 Likes

something like sbt --latest console?
So only when running --latest sbt will check the latest, and otherwise it will default to some version that is agreed at the time the sbt is built.

1 Like

coursier launch scala:latest.stable, which you could wrap in a shell alias.

Also available are my little shell runners around that: https://github.com/dwijnand/scala-runners, which you can install with brew install --HEAD dwijnand/formulas/scala-runners.

2 Likes